Indian Society : Indian Society
Indian Society is a topic under UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam in GS Paper -1. Along with Indian History, World History, and Physical Geography, Indian Society is also a significant portion and hence should be given its due importance. The section might be a cake walk for those candidates with Sociology optional, but other students can also do well in this domain with careful study and practice of writing questions.
Indian Society -An Overview
The introduction of topics related to Indian society in the UPSC Civil Services (Main) Examination (Paper I) clearly shows the growing importance of this subject and of the varied social issues it is currently faced with. Any candidate aspiring for Civil Services should essentially have a broad understanding of these issues as he/she is going to be directly involved in the upliftment of the society. It has been observed that multiple questions pertaining to the Indian Society and its issues are regularly asked in Main’s-General Studies (GS) Paper-I and Essay papers. Apart from this, candidates are also required to be well-versed in these issues for their personality test (interview) as well. The Syllabus of "Indian Sciety" as prescribed in Mains is as below-
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and
- developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.